My photo
Norwich, United Kingdom
I'm Susan and I live in a small village north of Norwich, UK. My main hobbies are reading, gardening, spinning and knitting, though not necessarily in that order....

Thursday 24 February 2011

A new venture - hatching chicks in an incubator

As I've got more time at home now that I no longer work at the Garden Centre, we have decided to finally start something we have been talking about for a while.

We have got a couple of incubators, bought some fertilized (hopefully!!) eggs and are now on day 4 out of the 21 days till they hatch.  We can't wait!  The garage has been partioned to make a special "chicken" area, and we are buying some new coups for them.  We want to eventually breed rarer chickens ourselves and sell them as either point of lay or as fertilized eggs.


At the moment we have Pekin Bantums and Marams in the incubator.  I love the really dark brown Maram eggs and look forward to rearing some hens.  Lets hope they are not all boys!

I've also been busy planting seeds and so far have a couple of trays of sweetpeas, broad beans, parsley chives.  My early peas went in the propagator yesterday with some french beans.  I love this time of year

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

You will so enjoy the incubation-we did this for years when raising chickens! Love the garden 'sprouts' just waiting for Spring!