My photo
Norwich, United Kingdom
I'm Susan and I live in a small village north of Norwich, UK. My main hobbies are reading, gardening, spinning and knitting, though not necessarily in that order....

Sunday 17 January 2010

Bags, Bags, Bags......


It all started with one knitted drawstring bag in December 2008 (design by Barbara Breiter).   It was made with my first yarn spun from a Jacob's fleece.  It was before I got my spinning wheel so I used my drop spindle. I loved the design and for over a year it was my "bag that went everywhere" - with shorts and t-shirt in France and with hat and gloves up Ben Nevis in Scotland.... 


Then I got a Shetland fleece which even after I washed it was still "greasy" with lanolin, I decided to knit another bag which would be slightly shower resistant because of the grease.  I adapted the size, changed the stitch patterns and changed the way the strap was made.   I got a few comments from friends to ended up knitting three more as christmas presents.  Each one was different, one even had beads on it.


Now I'm bag mad... yellow bag from handspun yarn, onion skin dye.  The other two were made from yarn in my "huge stash".  The designs are truly mine now as I make everyone completely different in size and shape.  Eventually I hope to have a craft stall and hopefully sell some.



As for the bag I am currently knitting, its very fluffy and girly...Reminds me of a coconut ice bar!


No time for knitting today though, this afternoon its off to the house we are restoring and helping to put up more fences.

1 comment:

Delighted Hands said...

What fun.....knitting is a faithful friend who is always glad to see you even if it's been a while!